CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, S.C. — A former police chief accused of misconduct and conspiracy is now unable to work in law enforcement after the state suspended his certification.
The South Carolina Law Enforcement Training Council voted to suspend Chief Tim Knight’s certification Monday, pending the outcome of the case.
McBee Town Council met earlier this month, but Channel 9 was told they decided against suspending Knight without pay.
Knight, former Chief Mike Irvin, former officer Greg Block and Mayor Glenn Odom all turned themselves into the Chesterfield County Detention Center last month. They’re accused of working together, writing traffic tickets, in a scheme to generate money for the town.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE:
- McBee Town Council to meet for first time since misconduct scandal
- McBee Mayor Glenn Odom faces misconduct and conspiracy charges
- Former McBee police chiefs surrender amid ticket quota corruption probe
“And we just want everybody to understand that, you know, we don’t want to be associated with anything that’s happened in the past because those people are no longer here,” said Sgt. Lee Lewis with the McBee Police Department.
Mayor Odom told us Sgt. Lewis is acting as interim chief and could take on the role in September. In an interview last month, Sgt. Lewis hinted he wants to put the ticket scandal in the rear view and move forward with protecting and serving.
“Yes, right now we just want the people of McBee to understand that we’re still here and that our number one, you know, concern is their safety and for them to have a police department that they can respect and that they know is here to do a good job for them,” Sgt. Lewis said.
Several people reached out to us this week concerned about a well publicized incident in 2015 where Sgt. Lewis was fired from the Chesterfield County Sheriff’s Office, accused of intentionally damaging a chase suspect’s car.
Sgt. Lewis acknowledged the firing, but declined to comment at this time.
©2026 Cox Media Group




