ROCK HILL, S.C. — Authorities are looking for a driver who hit and killed a man and drove off at about 6:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Witnesses said they first saw a man standing in the median on Celanese Road near Riverview Road.
“Witnesses said he made it to the median,” said Michael Chavis, the public information officer with Rock Hill police. “They saw him standing on the raised median as they were driving off they heard a loud noise. So they did a U-turn and they came back and saw he was lying in the road and had been struck by a car.”
After driving away, they heard someone hit that man and called the police.
“We need them to come forward and contact us to give us the info to do our investigation,” Chavis said.
Responding officers found a 44-year-old man, with life-threatening injuries, lying in the roadway. The man was transported to Piedmont Medical Center where he died.
On Monday, the victim was identified as Filadelfo Portillo of Rock Hill.
Police said it appears that he may not have been in the crosswalk.
It’s the second deadly crash at this intersection in two years.
In 2023, a car hit a 12-year-old boy who was on his way home after visiting a local convenience store.
“Everybody seems to be in a hurry,” motorist Julie Poole told Channel 9.
She said crashes prove the area isn’t walkable.
“I mean look at that right there. That’s not safe. All the congestion and the number of vehicles,” Poole said.
The RHPD Serious Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team is continuing the investigation.
So far, the RHPD doesn’t have a description of the car that hit him and they need help from the public. If anyone has information about this incident, they’re asked to reach out to the RHPD.
This is a developing story; check wsoctv.com for updates.
VIDEO: Juvenile fatally struck by car in northwest Charlotte, CMPD says
©2024 Cox Media Group